How to Get Rid of Head Lice
Head lice should be treated as a means to stop itching and help prevent their spread to others. There are many treatment choices to consider. Some include:
Treating with over-the-counter anti-lice products
If living head lice are present, then consider using LiceMD®, which can be purchased at major retailers nationwide. Some over-the-counter products contain ingredients that kill lice whether or not they are resistant to other kinds of products. In all cases, make sure you read, understand and follow the directions for any product you use.
Mechanically removing head lice and eggs with a special comb
Special ‘louse combs’ and ‘nit combs’ have teeth that are much closer together and can catch and remove many lice and eggs. This can be helpful in detecting and removing head lice from a person. Often, these special combs are part of a treatment that includes an anti-louse shampoo or lotion. LiceMD® products contain a patented comb specially designed to remove lice and their eggs from hair.
Many people have their own treatments for head lice. Sometimes it’s an unproven all-natural product. Other times people use strange home remedies, like smothering the hair with oily or dangerous substances, packing the hair with salt, or soaking in mouthwash. Many methods are not recognized as safe or effective. Even worse, some can truly be dangerous.
Every year at least a few children and teenagers are horribly burned because someone unwisely treated their hair with kerosene, gasoline, or some other flammable substance that can easily ignite near a gas pilot light, or even from the tiny spark from a light switch or static electricity. Others are injured because they were treated with pesticides meant for other uses. Never apply to a person a pesticide meant for use around the house or garden, or one that is meant for use on pets.
Unless a product is intended for lice treatment, it may be unsafe or ineffective. So, look carefully at the label and ask your pharmacist if you have any questions about a product for treating head lice.